Thursday, September 1, 2011

My New Wardrobe...Fire Department Clothing

I remember the wardrobe that I used to have before I met my husband.  I wore dress clothes to work and at home I either wore jeans, shorts or sweats.  Everything was basically color coordinated and stylish.  Somehow that seemed to change when I met my husband.  Slowly but surely I began to notice a lot of clothes in my wardrobe that had the maltese cross on them as well as the fire department patch.  I began to wear one of my Firefighter's extra fire department summer jackets, then I had some of his old uniform t-shirts that I would wear around the house for doing housework or yardwork.  I would also wear some of his fire department t-shirts when I was pregnant because they were so comfortable.  One year for Christmas one of the gifts that he gave me was a brand new sweatshirt and sweatpants with the maltese cross on them.  I loved the sweatshirt and sweatpants because they were warm and cozy and had the maltese cross on them.  They are pretty old now but I still have them and wear them occassionally on cold winter nights.  My parents each have the same set too.

When my brother began to work at his local fire department the wardrobe continued to expand.  Not only did I have clothing items from my Firefighter's department but now my brother was providing us with fire department clothing as well.

My parents have even gotten into the swing of things.  They just got back from their vacation last week and they brought my Firefighter back two fire department t-shirts from two different fire departments that they visited while on their vacation!

Now that my Firefighter and I have two kids the fire clothes that we have in our house is even greater!  Both of my boys were brought home from the hospital in a Little Fire Chief one piece outfit.

 This is M in his Little Chief fire outfit.  I liked the outfit so much when I was pregnant with G that I bought it in the newborn size and the 0-3 months size.  Both boys wore it a lot.

 We also had a lot of bibs.  This is a bib that I found before G was born.  It was still new in this picture.  By the time M was born this bib had seen better days!

This bib came with  a rescue pup one piece outfit.  It was so cute on G and then on M.  It was amazing to me how many fire department themed clothes I could find for a baby!

This is the Little Chief bib that I bought at JCPenny's.  When I was pregnant with G, JCPenny's happened to come out with these Little Chief outfits.  We had a one piece outfit, overalls, onesie, bib and shorts all with the Little Chief design on it and both boys got a lot of use out of them.  Those outfits were so cute!!

Grandparents, relatives and friends also helped us to keep a continuing supply of fire department themed clothes in our boys' closets.  It seemed that we received fire department themed clothing for every birthday and Christmas.  We still get excited when we find fire truck clothes in the stores.

Here is my Firefighter and G raking up the yard.  They are both sporting fire department wear.  Firefighter in his maltese cross sweatshirt and G in his fire department jacket.

This is a little better view of the jacket.  Both boys were able to wear this jacket too.

Now that the boys are getting a bit older I do not have as many fire themed clothes for them.  They seem to be harder to find in the toddler sizes.  However, I just found at JCPenny's the other day a t-shirt made by Okie Dokie and it looks just like a firefighter's jacket and it is a long-sleeved t-shirt.  I cannot wait for them to wear them to preschool.

So, in the years that I have been with my Firefighter, and since my brother has become a firefighter, the wardrobe for my entire family has changed.  It is not uncommon to go to my parent's house on a cold winter day and find pretty much all of us wearing some type of fire department sweatshirt, hat or sweatpants.  What can I say...we are a fire family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment