Saturday, September 17, 2011

My First Bellydance Performance

I was very glad for the nice sunny weather that we had today.  Today was the first bellydance performance that I participated in and it was outside at an art festival.  I was pretty nervous but I have been meeting up with some of the girls in the class and we have been practicing all summer.  I am currently taking the intermediate bellydance class with Alanna Shultz.  She is a great teacher and very talented!


She began to instruct the performance class back in May.  We met for eight 1-hour lessons and learned an entire routine.  We were then able to practice over the summer for the performance that we had today.  It was a hot summer and while we tried to practice outstide to enjoy the weather we eventually had to practice in the basement because it was just too hot outside.  Over the summer a group of us got together and practiced twice a week and our kids would play together while the mommies were practicing.  By the end of summer we were all doing a nice job with the dance routine but I was still a bit nervous.  I had some trouble sleeping last night for whatever reason so at 4:00am I was praticing the dance routine, without the music, in my family room  I think that my Firefighter thought I was nuts at that point!

When all of the dancers arrived at the festival today we stayed together as a group while we waited for our turn to go on.  While we were not dancing we remained covered up with our veils since it is not proper to be walking around in costome without being covered up when you are not dancing.


Our performance class went on about 6th in the line-up.  The Troupe and Sister Troupe performed first and then we went on.  I didn't think that I was too nervous but when we were out there and I would try to swallow, my mouth and throat were completely dry.  I messed up close to the beginning but I recovered quickly and did not make any more mistakes after that one.  Of course I can come up with all kinds of criticisms about how I danced but looking back on it I think that I did well for my first performance.  I am a bit of a perfectionist but, for the first time performing, I think that we all did a great job!

Check back to see the video.  I will post it as soon as I figure out why I cannot download it correctly from the camera.

When the peformance was over we all came out and free-styled for one song.  I did not know that we were doing that and free-styling at this point is not my best dancing ability.  Nothing like trying to learn it in front of an audience!!




During the free-style dance members of the audience came out to join us.


All in all I think that everybody did a fantastic job!!  I am definately looking forward to trying out for the Sister Troupe and to doing the performance class again next year.  Right now I am continuing to work hard in the intermediate class.  We are now learning how to dance using veils.

If you are ever looking for some great exercise, and having fun while exercising, then you should think about giving bellydance a try!

2 comments:

  1. SOOO funny you should post this. I JUST said to Jeff that I was thinking about trying belly dancing after he is done with paramedic classes! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trina, definately do it! It is a great workout. I would run through the routine six times after the kids went to bed and that gave me a great cardio workout. You really learn to isolate your muscles too. Plus the costumes are a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete